When parties have been married for a long time, the issues of their divorce can be complex:
- In marriages of over 20 years, where there is a discrepancy in the parties’ incomes, Courts may be inclined to order spousal support for an indefinite period of time.
- When parties are close to retirement age, the division of retirement assets is critical to the long-term planning of both parties.
- Health insurance is often an issue in long-term marriages because joint coverage under a single policy is no longer an option.
- In long-term marriages, the parties may be thinking about downsizing and selling the marital residence.
- Often, parties who have been married for a long time have operated out of joint bank accounts. Transitioning from joint accounts into separate accounts, joint bill paying into separate bill paying, and joint households into separate households can be challenging for couples who have been married for a long time.
Attorney Linda J. Miller has over 30 years of experience helping parties in a long-term marriage deal with the many challenges facing them as they move forward to separate their lives.